Teacher Competences: Planning & Evaluating (EN4 Reflection 1)
This is a conversation between Kristian Ladegaard and myself. We try to analyze and reflect upon the article, "English teacher competences" by J. von Holst-Pedersen from 2018 and this article from Politikken called: "Skolelærer: Jeg er ny lærer. Jeg er sygemeldt med stress. Og jeg er langtfra den eneste".
*at 3:03 I said "anatomy", but I meant "autonomy"
Five key competencies an English teacher needs.
- The ability to excite and make others interested
- Why: Purpose & Goal
- What: Content
- How: Methods & Materials
- Relations - respect & understand, passionate, "have a spark", form relations and create closeness, be curious
- Classroom Management
- Subject Pedagogy
- Create a red thread and structure - classroom management
- Use time on learning
- Give the students a desire to participate - be present and passionate
- Activate the students’ preunderstanding - student autonomy as motivation, Subject Pedagogy
- Articulate what the students have to learn and why
- Vary your methods - Subject Pedagogy, motivation - balance out with structure
- Take individual consideration
- Train - again and again and goal oriented
- Be aware of physical framework
- Say what you expect - Hattie’s most important for learning (visible learning 2012)